Saturday, July 3, 2010

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

So, it was about 4:30 AM by the time I actually went to bed last night. I got up at about 8:30 AM and took a shower. I found my eyes bloodshot, but they cleared up by the time I had a cup of coffee and packed my bags. We were supposed to be out of the room by 10 AM (even thought sessions went until noon - strange). I noticed that the duffel bag I had was quite heavy and didn't have a very comfortable handle to carry. I was supposed to meet Phil at the entrance to Windsor castle at 11 AM and it was with increasing panic that I realized that there was no way I was going to be able to carry both the backpack and the duffel bag around all day. I sent an email to Phil asking him to call me hoping that he could devise some alternate plan. The big probem is that most railway stations in England have done away with lockers because of all the issues with terrorists. So, there was no easy place to park my stuff as I toured the castle.

Phil was kind enough to give me a way out by saying that while he *would* like to see Windsor castle, he would not be devastated if we skipped our plan for the morning. So, I called my uncle in London and asked him if I could visit him instead. Not only did he agree, but he offered to pick me up from Waterloo station and drop me off at London King's Cross for my train to Newcastle at 5 PM. I took a cab to Egham, picked up my Newcastle ticket and bought a single ticket to beautiful Waterloo station. The train ride was uneventful and my uncle's timing was perfect as he drove up to the entrance of Waterloo station just as I was coming out. At home, I got a call from Phil who happened to be walking across Tower Bridge. Always the super-hospitable, my uncle invited Phil over for lunch and conversation and we even drove over to pick him up. My poor aunt had not one, but two surprise guests for lunch and still coolly managed to whip up an incredible Indian spread with iddlys, sambar, rice. Both Phil and I had our fill of the delicious food (we even ensured that Phil ate lunch the Indian way - with his fingers!)

We went for a little walk to the Tower of London (right next to their place) and then sent Phil on his way to St. Paul's Cathedral while we went home and headed out to King's Cross station for my train. We were supposed to pick up their daughter from a party and then drop me off at the station, but got caught in some terrible London traffic. So, poor Vidya was called and told to "enjoy herself where she was" while I got dropped off first, to be safe.

King's Cross is another beautiful English train station. It was opened in 1852 and was named after the surrounding area which took its name from a monument to King George IV that existed in the area around the time. The monument itself did not exist when the station was opened. It was built to be the London hub of the Great Northern Railway and is certainly grand in design. A GBP500 million restoration is currently in progress and scheduled to be completed by 2012. Did I mention I love these stations? It is like having a bunch of Grand Central Stations all over the place.

The ride from London King's Cross to Newcastle was comfortable. I was a little worried given my lack of sleep and that the train just stopped in Newcastle on its way to Glasgow. I had this mild fear that I would wake up and find myself in Glasgow. I did fall asleep, but woke up after an hour. I fell asleep again and woke up about 7:30 PM. Since the train was scheduled to reach Newcastle at 8, I decided to stay awake and read.

Srini (my cousin) and Gagan (his new wife) were at the station waiting for me and they took me out to dinner at a fantastic restaurant called "As You Like It" where I enjoyed a pint each of Radgie Gadgie and Geordie Pride, two nice local ales. The fillet (they pronounced the "t" here) of steak was exceptionally tender and delicious. There was even a decent band that came on at about 10 PM. We then walked around town a bit enjoying the sights of Tyne bridge, Millennium bridge, the Sage in Gateshead. We then walked down Grey's road which was overflowing with drunken revelers on Saturday night. The Earl Grey was from Newcastle (yeah, the tea guy) and there is, of course, a massive and impressive monument to Earl Charles Grey in the center of town.

Got home and chatted for a while before going to bed at about 1:30 AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment